Thursday, September 4, 2008

Disdain



I spent my night pouring my grouses to Seow, Sing Ying and Crystal yesterday after AGM. I went on and on, without catching my breath. Honestly speaking, it was the first time I felt as if I was defending Hong Wei, my president. And ok, I wasn't really defending him, but this time round, I was on his side. I wasn't complaining about his ineptitude at expressing himself nicely or angry at his inflexibility. It was all because I hate people using lowdown means trying to put someone down.

Shervonne and Clarence really shocked the room when we saw the printed google group emails. I thought that was really uncalled for and a total infringement on privacy. Anyway, throughout the night, I was annoyed at the incoherence of all the arguments and attacks. They were not smart at all. And i used to think that Shervonne was eloquent and a good debater. Everyone just made no sense yesterday. Even Hong Wei. I understood his point that he did not want to "shoot back" at them, but he shouldn't have been too defensive, and should try to explain things more clearly and logically. He chose the wrong argument most of the time. You'd feel like the art of the rhetoric is a lost cause if you had witness the sad situation yesterday. Wrong words, wrong tone, unconvincing fight. I was glad when Stanley took a stand and gave the most coherent speech ever I've heard in hall.

Gosh.

And long English words that people do not understand doesn't make you look smarter. Clear sentences and logic do.

Also, at the same time, I was receiving smses from CNA about the plight in different countries, like Pakistan and Thailand. And I look at those pathetic people (I'm sometimes one of them too) and thought: "We're here fighting about these stupid stuff when there are more things to worry about." I wonder why they don't use their angry speeches at the Speaker's corner to fight for a cause more worth fighting for. Unless they were fighting for the rights of the residents, which I think they were not. At least it looked unconvincing.

I'm going to brush up on my speechmaking skills. I don't want to have someone criticise me like the way I do to others when it comes time I speak up. Otherwise I'd rather not speak at all. Sometimes, silence makes the strongest argument.

No comments: