Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The truth will set you free



It was just last year that he announced he will be registering the new Reform party, which will potentially alter the political opposition landscape in Singapore. But, this morning, I got a rude shock through mobile news that JB Jayaretnam, or better known as JBJ, had passed away in the early morning due to a heart failure. My first reaction: "What's gonna happen to the Reform Party?"

I had hoped that this newcomer will surprise us at the next elections (which I will be voting in) with new and feasible policies, which will definitely make politics more interesting to watch in Singapore. An old-timer in opposition politics, JBJ's name is synonymous with an outspoken opposition hero. He has faced uphill battles, and I thought it was admirable that he was fighting till his last breath for some fresh air in politics through what he called "reform". And I agree that Singapore's politics can get suffocating at times. It is even amazing how the points he brought up during his announcement of setting up this new political party resonate, albeit being a tad too idealistic. But reform can be idealistic sometimes right? Aim high, and if you fall, at least you land among the clouds.

He even called the press a scandal. Ha. A real dogged man.

On a lighter note, though not much lighter, recess weeks really do come and go, don't they? One week just whizzed past, just like that. But, it has been good so far. I got an ego boost from the A Prof Ho gave me for the essay. His randomly-plastered "good"s and "nice"s all over the essay made me feel like a genius. And I thought I wrote badly. Ok, I'm going overboard. But, it really makes me feel good because I'm doing well for my minor, which I like a lot.

Let's hope the rest of the week stays like this. Great. Tomorrow there's fashion bash, and most probably I'd be attending it. Yeppie!

No comments: