Friday, October 3, 2008

Huh? What Show?



Call it plain curiosity, or it could be just that I don't want to "miss out on the fun", but I would be going for the Big Hong Lim Show, as they call it. I tried asking Jiamin and Jinhe about going with me, but they didn't seem to know about it. The censorship does wonders, doesn't it? *Sarcastic* But, I told myself I'm going to be a neutral observer, because blame me if you must, I'm still skeptical about the speeches they are going to make. What are they going to say? Will they be purely rhetoric about media censorship, or will politics come into the picture? As a public administration student, I'm guilty as charged for not having ever been to the Hong Lim's Speaker's Corner nor any parliament seating. So this is an opportunity.

However, I do find fault with the "disguised" name of this event as seen on Facebook. Why call it the Big Hong Lim Show? Why a show? It just has a slight pejorative connotation to it. Anyway, initially, I indicated on the Facebook event page that I was "Not Attending", because I thought it was some IT show, like the Funan show, or Sim Lim show. LOL.

By the way, I was telling Prof Cherian George yesterday that I wasn't that cut out to be a photojournalist because I found it restrictive. Then, I found something today in TIME that said art is something rare in journalism, though they were actually talking about a photojournalist named Jim Nachtwey who proved this saying wrong, with the beauty and elegance of his work. It's hard to achieve that, but I would want someone to say that of my work one day too.

I predict next week will be a busy week, because I will be running around for my interviews.

P.S: I'm now addicted to Potong's coconut ice-cream.

No comments: