Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Does Temperament matter?



That's the cover story of TIME and I've just finished it halfway through Foreign Policy class as the class debates the decision of US to enter the Iraq war. We were talking withdrawal options and one of my classmates mentioned that she supported McCain because she did not support Obama's timeline for withdrawal policy. Then, I realised, when I look at leaders, I tend to look at the superficial elements. I ignore policy stances, speech content and ideologies. I always look for charisma, good looks, and great speech-making abilities. That's why I'm very swayed by Obama. Ok, fine, I realised I'm quite ignorant and superficial.

Do read the TIME issue. They talk about temperaments of different leaders and how it all comes into play during the campaign and when they're in office. And I found out the distinction between temperament and character.

Anyway, speaking of temperament, I did this survey yesterday for my friend and I speculated that it was about media violence or something close. There was a question that made me laugh out loud: "Will you punch someone back if that person punches you?" Hahaha. I gave an immediate yes. Beware.

No comments: